Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Duck livers??!!


In the past few years I have taken a homeopathic remedy called Oscillococcinum whenever I feel flu like symptoms coming on. I read in a health magazine that this little vial of homeopathic wonder would either shorten or lessen the effects of the influenza virus. It wouldn't prevent me from getting the flu, but it would make the whole flu induced experience less dehabilitating. So I ordered some at a wholesale price through our Bulk Co-op group. I figured if there was a way that I could survive the flu bug without getting knocked all the way down in bed, it would be worth a try. I have used it with noticeable results. Not dramatic, but noticeable.
For the last few weeks, many people around me have been getting sick. Some have had sniffles, coughs and sore throats, others have been heaving for days on end. (from both ends!) By the grace of God, I have skirted around most of these inopportune times of getting the bug. Well, just a couple of days ago, I felt my immune system kick into high gear and my energy level plummet to granny gear. My body was at war with an unseen enemy. I went on like that for a day or so until I remembered that I had this super duper unpronounceable combatant that would give me a fighting chance of overcoming the immuno-compromise that I was battling.
So last night, I took some. My aching body wasn't looking forward to another night of fitful sleep. I needed some relief. I have to say, I slept better and I feel pretty good today. I have a cough and still some tiredness, but overall, I feel better. Some say that this stuff is just placebo, but I'm not so sure.
I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says this:

The ingredients of a one gram tube of Oscillococcinum are listed as:

  • Active ingredient: Anas Barbariae Hepatis et Cordis Extractum
  • (extract of Muscovy Duck liver and heart) 200CK HPUS 1x10-400g[8]
  • Inactive ingredient: 0.85 g sucrose, 0.15 g lactose (100 percent sugar.[9])
Duck livers?? Does this mean that I am no longer a vegetarian if I am taking meds made of duck hearts and livers? Eewww. I think that this needs more research before I can make a judgement!
That's the one thing I have noticed about these "Homeopathic" remedies..... Most of the time, the names of the stuff are impossible to pronounce! Or they are in some foreign language!
Maybe I'd be better off not knowing! Is ignorance truly "bliss?"

1 comment: