Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Midweek Slump


I know it's only Tuesday evening, but the week already feels full. I just finished 2 full days at the nursing facility which feels more like an entire week and I am tired. I tell you, these nursing assistants work really hard for their money! The job only pays $10 an hour when it should pay more like $13 or $14. It is non stop tasks for the first few hours and they it subsides somewhat for the next couple of hours, then it picks up again right before it's time to leave. After a really rough week last week, the work has gotten progressively better. I have 3 1/2 more weeks before I am done....yay! The semester is nearly over.
I love this phase in my life. I still feel really healthy and young but I also get to be "Grandma" to my grandkids! To get a glimpse of that emotion, this photo says it better than I ever could. I have the knitting going, I have a hand crocheted afgan on my lap, my hair is up in a granny bun, I am wearing my old lady glasses, my grandbaby is climbing up to see what Grandma is doing...I totally look like an old lady! I know, you are saying "You are an old lady!"
But the weird thing about it is that I don't feel that old. The picture sure looks that way, (which by the way is a little shocking to me even), yet my mind says I am still late 30's, early 40's. So, I have to come to grips with this vague reality! I am middle-aged....but, you know, I like it. I like it alot. I like the fact that I can be a source of wisdom for younger people to tap into. I like the fact that I can keep up with my teens while juggling a grandbaby on my hip! I am blessed to have so much in my life and I will continually thank the Good Lord for all that He has given me in this life! I leave you with a quote from "The Works of John Owen", (John Owen 1616-1681)
Most important than all this is a diligent endeavor to have the power
of the truths we profess and contend for
abiding in our hearts,

that we may not contend for notions, but that we have a practical
acquaintance with this in our own souls.

1 comment:

  1. I know this experience! I see my picture, or see myself in a mirror, and am jolted by the fact that people my age are middle-aged. (ten years ago I said they were old) Yet I am also surprised to find that rather than being sad, I am excited and ready to be a grandfather and wise and mature... or any of the three.
    I shared some tea with Gus tonight, my bag had a celtic saying on it: When God made time, He made enough of it. mark

    P.S. the girl in you should enjoy the items that gus is bringing home!

    ReplyDelete